The Huon Mechanics’ Institute library was established in 1858 in Franklin—the first Mechanics’ Institute library in regional Tasmania. The Institute and its library were founded amidst great enthusiasm, an enthusiasm that carried over into early donations leading to the construction of a permanent home for the Institute in the mid-Colonial period. As a result of this enthusiasm, the Institute attracted regular and detailed reporting in the late 1850s and early 1860s. In this essay, we offer an account of the library that focuses on the support for and development of the library, as well as its method of operation and its contents.
|Number of pages||17|
|Journal||Script & Print: Bulletin of the Bibliographical Society of Australia and New Zealand|
|Publication status||Published - 2018|
- Literary History
- Book History
- Colonial Australia
- Library History