Delivery of anoxic gas mixtures in anaesthesia: case report and review of the struggle towards safer standards of care

M. Pauling, C. M. Ball

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleOtherpeer-review

Abstract

In 1983 a patient at The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne died during general anaesthesia for emergency surgery, in the weeks following maintenance to the operating theatre gas supply. In the ensuing investigation, it was revealed that he had been given 100% nitrous oxide throughout the anaesthetic due to the inadvertent crossing of the nitrous oxide and oxygen pipelines during the repair work. In this article we review the published literature on the delivery of hypoxic and anoxic gas mixtures, and the associated morbidity and mortality. We explore the developments that took place in the delivery of anaesthetic gases, and the unforeseen dangers associated with these advances. We consider the risks to patient safety when technological advances outpaced the implementation of essential safety standards. We investigate the events that pushed the development of safer standards of anaesthetic practice and patient monitoring, which have contributed to modern day theatre practice. Finally, we consider the risks that still exist in the hospital environment, and the need for on-going vigilance.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)21-28
Number of pages8
JournalAnaesthesia and intensive care
Volume45
Issue number7
Publication statusPublished - 1 Mar 2017

Cite this

@article{dc51dcbf644e4db2afe02786875934b1,
title = "Delivery of anoxic gas mixtures in anaesthesia: case report and review of the struggle towards safer standards of care",
abstract = "In 1983 a patient at The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne died during general anaesthesia for emergency surgery, in the weeks following maintenance to the operating theatre gas supply. In the ensuing investigation, it was revealed that he had been given 100{\%} nitrous oxide throughout the anaesthetic due to the inadvertent crossing of the nitrous oxide and oxygen pipelines during the repair work. In this article we review the published literature on the delivery of hypoxic and anoxic gas mixtures, and the associated morbidity and mortality. We explore the developments that took place in the delivery of anaesthetic gases, and the unforeseen dangers associated with these advances. We consider the risks to patient safety when technological advances outpaced the implementation of essential safety standards. We investigate the events that pushed the development of safer standards of anaesthetic practice and patient monitoring, which have contributed to modern day theatre practice. Finally, we consider the risks that still exist in the hospital environment, and the need for on-going vigilance.",
author = "M. Pauling and Ball, {C. M.}",
year = "2017",
month = "3",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "45",
pages = "21--28",
journal = "Anaesthesia and intensive care",
issn = "0310-057X",
publisher = "Australian Society of Anaesthetists",
number = "7",

}

Delivery of anoxic gas mixtures in anaesthesia : case report and review of the struggle towards safer standards of care. / Pauling, M.; Ball, C. M.

In: Anaesthesia and intensive care, Vol. 45, No. 7, 01.03.2017, p. 21-28.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleOtherpeer-review

TY - JOUR

T1 - Delivery of anoxic gas mixtures in anaesthesia

T2 - case report and review of the struggle towards safer standards of care

AU - Pauling, M.

AU - Ball, C. M.

PY - 2017/3/1

Y1 - 2017/3/1

N2 - In 1983 a patient at The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne died during general anaesthesia for emergency surgery, in the weeks following maintenance to the operating theatre gas supply. In the ensuing investigation, it was revealed that he had been given 100% nitrous oxide throughout the anaesthetic due to the inadvertent crossing of the nitrous oxide and oxygen pipelines during the repair work. In this article we review the published literature on the delivery of hypoxic and anoxic gas mixtures, and the associated morbidity and mortality. We explore the developments that took place in the delivery of anaesthetic gases, and the unforeseen dangers associated with these advances. We consider the risks to patient safety when technological advances outpaced the implementation of essential safety standards. We investigate the events that pushed the development of safer standards of anaesthetic practice and patient monitoring, which have contributed to modern day theatre practice. Finally, we consider the risks that still exist in the hospital environment, and the need for on-going vigilance.

AB - In 1983 a patient at The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne died during general anaesthesia for emergency surgery, in the weeks following maintenance to the operating theatre gas supply. In the ensuing investigation, it was revealed that he had been given 100% nitrous oxide throughout the anaesthetic due to the inadvertent crossing of the nitrous oxide and oxygen pipelines during the repair work. In this article we review the published literature on the delivery of hypoxic and anoxic gas mixtures, and the associated morbidity and mortality. We explore the developments that took place in the delivery of anaesthetic gases, and the unforeseen dangers associated with these advances. We consider the risks to patient safety when technological advances outpaced the implementation of essential safety standards. We investigate the events that pushed the development of safer standards of anaesthetic practice and patient monitoring, which have contributed to modern day theatre practice. Finally, we consider the risks that still exist in the hospital environment, and the need for on-going vigilance.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85029668154&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 45

SP - 21

EP - 28

JO - Anaesthesia and intensive care

JF - Anaesthesia and intensive care

SN - 0310-057X

IS - 7

ER -