Cancer treatment by radiotherapy in Western Nepal: A hospital-based study

C. R. Bhatt, K. Sharan, J. Ninan, B. Sathian, B. Ween, D. R. Olsen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleResearchpeer-review

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective: The aim of this study was to describe utilization of radiotherapy and treatment compliance in the context of Nepal. Methods: A retrospective study was carried out on data collected from the radiotherapy treatment records of patients treated at Manipal Teaching Hospital (MTH), Pokhara, between 28 September 2000 and 30 May 2008. Results: In the 944 patients, the gender distribution showed a slight female preponderance (53.7 vs. 46.3%). Curative treatment was given to 62.8% (n=593) and palliative to the remaining 37.2% (n=351). Patients older than 50 years were more likely to receive palliative radiotherapy (p=0.001). The commonest cancers treated were head & neck at 23.7% (n=224), followed by lung at 21.3% (n=201) and cervix at 16.1% (n=152). The majority of patients were between 50-70 years of age (n=564). Nineteen percent (n=179) did not complete the prescribed dose of radiation. Unplanned treatment interruptions were found in 35.6% (n=336) and this was not affected by age (p=0.1) or gender (p=0.1). The most frequent treatment interruption compromising optimal effectiveness of cancer treatment was observed for head and neck cancers, constituting 43% (n=96) of patients in the group. Conclusion: Head and neck in both sexes and cervix in females were the most common cancers treated with a curative intent. Lung cancer, the second most common in both genders, was treated with palliative intent in a large number of cases. This indicates the need for early diagnosis for a possible curative treatment.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)205-208
Number of pages4
JournalAsian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention
Volume10
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2009
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Cancer types
  • Curative treatment
  • Palliative treatment
  • Radiotherapy

Cite this

Bhatt, C. R., Sharan, K., Ninan, J., Sathian, B., Ween, B., & Olsen, D. R. (2009). Cancer treatment by radiotherapy in Western Nepal: A hospital-based study. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 10(2), 205-208.