The mentally ill are grossly over-represented in the criminal justice system, yet very little is known about police interactions with this group. Police often have little knowledge and capacity to effectively manage this group and integration with mental health services is often inadequate. A series of innovative studies will explore this police-mental health interface, incorporating different methodological approaches ranging from assessing officers knowledge and practices to exploring the relationship between mental illness and offending. A best practice model of identification and intervention will be developed to assist the police and mental health in the delivery of an integrated service approach for those with mental illnesses.
|Effective start/end date||14/02/07 → 31/12/11|
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD488,639.00
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD69,000.00
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD150,708.00
- Police Department (Vic) (trading as Victoria Police) (Victoria): AUD270,649.00
- Australian Research Council (ARC)