Despite improving road safety in Australia, the motorcycle rider road toll is rising. A comprehensive and effective response cannot be developed due to critical gaps in knowledge. This project will investigate 575 serious injury motorcycle crashes and collect data on the same number of non-crashed riders to determine risk factors in contemporary riding. In particular, the role of road infrastructure and speed will be examined. Outcomes will include recommendations for road safety organisations to incorporate into policies and programs to improve road system management and safety for this vulnerable road user group. The evidence-based nature of the findings is critical if riders and rider groups are to support and adopt recommendations.
|Effective start/end date||4/01/11 → 30/06/15|
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD336,000.00
- Department of Justice and Community Safety (Victoria): AUD30,000.00
- Transport Accident Commission (TAC) (trading as Transport Accident Commission Compensation Payments) (Victoria): AUD30,000.00
- Roads Corporation (trading as VicRoads) (Victoria) : AUD936,277.00
- Police Department (Vic) (trading as Victoria Police) (Victoria)
- Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce