Many Australians claim to have a wheat- or gluten-intolerance. This has led to the growing demand (10-20% per year) for wheat- and gluten-free cereal products.The most common complaints relate to gut symptoms, such as wind. bloating and chronic fatigue. This project will develop novel cereal grain products that will contain low levels of the poorly absorbed carbohydrates and protein (gluten) that are known to trigger these symptoms. Development of these new products will be based on the evaluation of non-wheat grain varieties or 'Health Grains' (spelt, quinoa) that may be suited to development by the Australian agricultural industry. We will identify new health grains for the industry as well as improve the health of Australians.
|Effective start/end date||1/07/10 → 1/12/14|
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD225,000.00
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD45,000.00
- George Weston Foods Limited: AUD83,000.00
- George Weston Foods Limited: AUD166,000.00
- George Weston Foods Limited