We plan to build computational models of sedimentary basins which can account for their mechanical evolution, the nature and origin of the sediments they derive from the continental crust, and the manner in which the sediment fills the basin and influences the deformation history and basin shape. This is a significant challenge because the sediment erosion and transport influences the tectonic deformation and vice versa. We will develop appropriate numerical techniques to deal with this challenge. The models will be used to complement geophysical imaging techniques in better understanding basin structure as petroleum exploration shifts towards deeper water.
|Effective start/end date||20/12/07 → 31/12/11|
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD110,788.00
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD69,468.00
- Australian Research Council (ARC): AUD75,354.00
- The University of Melbourne
- ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company: AUD180,000.00