Projects per year
Dr Khalilpour is an interdisciplinary academic with research on the intersection of sustainability with complex socio-technical systems. His research bridges some disciplines that are often thought hard to integrate. Prior to taking an academic career, Kaveh worked for industrial sectors including oil, gas, and biotechnology.
“My theoretical research interests fall in the application of machine learning and operations research for optimal system design, planning, operation scheduling, and demand-side management.
“My applied research interest is sustainability. So far, the collective international efforts for climate change mitigation have led to three key technological approaches including energy efficiency, renewable energies, and carbon capture. My research quests for innovative approaches for:
(1) Renewable energy (and) storage: Optimal management of energy systems with intermittent renewable energy resources, which are un/available at un/wanted times.
(2) New pathways of carbon dioxide utilization, considering the fact that carbon storage has very limited opportunity for the value proposition.
(3) The whole of system thinking: As Albert Einstein once said: “we cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Energy sustainability is tightly linked with water and food, the other two necessities of life. It should also comply with the society-economy-environment constraints. This necessitates the energy-water-food-society-economy-environment nexus analysis in any sustainable technology development.
(4) Technology for justice and fairness: Can technology lead to an increased fairness and justice in our local and global society? We use system optimisation techniques in the design and operation of fair community networks. Such solutions can help policy-makers in reducing socio-economic inequalities while also addressing sustainability concerns.”
Interested prospective students: please see the following books for our recent research:
- Khalilpour, KR, Vassallo A., 2016, Community energy networks with storage: modeling frameworks for distributed generation, Springer Nature. ISBN 978-981-287-652-2 https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789812876515
- Khalilpour, KR, 2018, Polygeneration with polystorage for chemical and energy hubs, Elsevier, ISBN: 9780128133064 https://www.elsevier.com/books/polygeneration-with-polystorage/khalilpour/978-0-12-813306-4
- Sustainable energy systems integration
- Energy storage and conversion
- Decision analysis and optimisation
- Planning and scheduling
- Behavioral decision theory
- Energy-food-water nexus analysis (Industrial Ecology)
- Complex socio-technical networks
- Fairness and justice
- Humanitarian Engineering
Advisian Digital, Proof of Concept for Application of Advanced Short Term Power Generation Forecasting Technology for Wind and Solar Farms
28/05/19 → 6/01/21
Research Output per year
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (Book) › Research › peer-review
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Research › peer-review
Research output: Book/Report › Edited Book › Other › peer-review
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference Paper › Research › peer-review
1 media contribution
Press/Media: Public Engagement Activities
1 media contribution
1 item of media coverage