Projects per year
Dr. Emi Tanaka is an applied statistician whose primary interest is to develop impactful methods and tools that can be readily used by practitioners. Her research interests include mixed models and experimental designs, motivated primarily by the problems in bioinformatics and agricultural sciences. She obtained her PhD in statistical bioinformatics at The University of Sydney. She was a lecturer in statistics at School of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Sydney before joining Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics, Monash University.
Her personal website is at: https://emitanaka.org
See here for the list of her software contributions and here for her GitHub profile.
- Experimental design
- Mixed models (also known as multi-level models, panel data models or hierarchical models)
- Data visualisation and visual inference
- Applications in bioinformatics and selective breeding (particularly plant breeding)
- Statistical software development, particularly in R
- Statistical workflow (encompassing reproducibility, design, infrastructure & communication)
- President of Statistical Society of Australia Victoria Branch (since 2021)
- Vice President of Statistical Society of Australia Victoria Branch (2020)
- Councillor of International Biometrics Society Australiasian Region (since 2017)
- Secretary of Statistical Society of Australia NSW Branch (2018-2019)
- Assistant Secretary of Statistical Society of Australia NSW Branch (2017)
Monash teaching commitment
- ETC3250/5250: Introduction to Machine Learning (100%)
Past teaching commitment
- ETC5521: Exploratory Data Analysis (50%)
- ETC5512: Wild Caught Data (25%)
- ETC5523: Communicating with Data (100%)
- Lead development of Learn R
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Award Date: 11 Dec 2015
Research area keywords
- data science
- plant breeding
- 1 Active
Three-dimensional Bayesian Modelling of Geological and Geophysical data
Ailleres, L., Jessell, M., Grose, L., Tanaka, E., Droniou, J., Armit, R., Kemp, C., Cruden, S., Lindsay, M., Giraud, J., Kelka, U., Laurent, G., Caumon, G., Ogarko, V., Betts, P., Pirot, G., Rawling, T., Bonnardot, M., Murdie, R. E., Gessner, K., Dutch, R. A., Wise, T., Jackson, D., Spampinato, G., Bombardieri, D., Brown, D., Heaven, R. & Mahoney, L.
Australian Research Council (ARC)
20/04/23 → 19/04/26
A journey from wild to textbook data to reproducibly refresh the wages data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth DatabaseAmaliah, D., Cook, D., Tanaka, E., Hyde, K. & Tierney, N., 2022, In: Journal of Statistics and Data Science Education. 30, 3, p. 289-303 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Research › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Commentary on “Visualization in Operations Management Research”: Incorporating Statistical Thinking into Visualization Practices for Decision Making in Operational ManagementTanaka, E., Leung, J. W. Y. & Cook, D., 2022, In: INFORMS Journal on Data Science. 1, 2, p. 188-191 4 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Comment / Debate › Other › peer-reviewOpen Access
Getting the most out of your experimental data with designTanaka, E., 12 Dec 2022, Biometric Bulletin, 39, 4, p. 9-13 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to specialist publication › Article › Other
ASAS-NANP Symposium: prospects for interactive and dynamic graphics in the era of data-rich animal scienceMorota, G., Cheng, H., Cook, D. & Tanaka, E., Feb 2021, In: Journal of Animal Science. 99, 2, p. 1-17 17 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review Article › Research › peer-reviewOpen Access
The foundation is available for thinking about data visualization inferentiallyCook, D., Reid, N. & Tanaka, E., 31 Jul 2021, In: Harvard Data Science Review. 3.3, 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Comment / Debate › OtherOpen AccessFile
SSA Distinguished Presenter's Award
Tanaka, Emi (Recipient), 29 Jul 2021
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
SSA President’s Award for Leadership in Statistics
Tanaka, Emi (Recipient), 18 Aug 2022
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)