Projects per year
Dr. Osadnik is a Senior Lecturer and Director of Research in the Department of Physiotherapy at Monash University. Dr. Osadnik's research expertise centres around the optimisation of health outcomes for adults affected by chronic lung disease such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma through evidence-based, personalised medicine and rehabilitation. He is an honorary Fellow with Monash Lung Sleep Allergy Immunology and Institute for Breathing and Sleep in Melbourne, and is the Co-Ordinating Editor for Cochrane Airways Australia.
Dr. Osadnik has produced >50 peer-reviewed publications (2/3 as lead or senior author) with an increasing annual citation trajectory (>800 cites total, H-index 15) and presented >50 conference abstracts. He has been awarded >$3.4M in competitive funding as CI from prestigious bodies including European Respiratory Society, Lung Foundation Australia, Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation, and European Center for Disease Prevention and Control. Dr. Osadnik is actively involved in numerous advisory groups/committees of organisations such as the Australian Institute for Health and Welfare, European Respiratory Society, Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand, Monash University and Monash Health.
Dr. Osadnik is the founding Director of ResPTlab - a unique multidisciplinary laboratory supporting early-career clinician-researchers to conduct clinically-relevant respiratory physiotherapy research. More information about the work of this team is available at https://www.resptlab.com
- Personalised respiratory medicine and rehabilitation
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (particularly acute exacerbations)
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Physical activity
- Exercise testing
- Health services research
- Research to improve health outcomes for patients admitted to hospital due to acute and chronic respiratory diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma
- Physiotherapy management strategies for patients with acute and chronic respiratory diseases
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and restoration of function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Part-time clinically based within Monash Lung Sleep Allergy Immunology (Monash Health, Melbourne) to conduct clinical research and supervise clinical partners / HDR students.
Monash teaching commitment
- Director of Research, responsible for co-ordination of research curriculum across Monash University Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) and Doctor of Physiotherapy courses.
- Facilitator/Senior Lecturer for cardiorespiratory physiotherapy content
Previous roles (since 2008):
- Unit coordinator, lecturer, practical and tutorial facilitator for 24-credit point cardiorespiratory physiotherapy teaching unit.
- Research consultant at Department of Physiotherapy, Monash Health
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, National Asthma and Other Chronic Respiratory Conditions Monitoring Advisory Group
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand, Research Sub-Committee
- Cochrane Airways Group, Editor
- European Respiratory Society, College of Experts
Previous service (highlights only):
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand, Physiotherapy Special Interest Group Convenor
- American Thoracic Society, Pulmonary Rehabilitation Assembly web committee
- Lung Foundation Australia / Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand, Australian Pulmonary Rehabilitation Guidelines writing group
- Grant review panel member, Physiotherapy Research Foundation
- Australian Physiotherapy Association, cardiorespiratory scientific committee member for bi-enniel conference
- Australian Physiotherapy Council, clinical assessor for international applicants seeking physiotherapy registration in Australia
Research area keywords
- Physical activity
- Personalised medicine
Osadnik, C. & Maddocks, M.
1/02/21 → 1/02/23
Enhancing care of patients by effective general practice follow up after an acute exacerbation of COPD
1/09/20 → 1/11/21
3/02/20 → 2/02/22
Barriers and enablers to physical activity participation in patients with venous leg ulcers: a systematic review protocol of qualitative evidenceQiu, Y., Team, V., Osadnik, C. R. & Weller, C. D., 7 Jun 2021, (Accepted/In press) In: JBI Evidence Synthesis. 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Other › peer-reviewOpen Access
Leong, P., MacDonald, M. I., King, P., Osadnik, C. R., Ko, B., Landry, S. A., Hamza, K., Kugenasan, A., Troupis, J. & Bardin, P., 1 Jan 2021, In: ERJ Open Research. 7, 1, 11 p., 00756-2020.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Research › peer-reviewOpen Access
Osadnik, C. R., 18 Mar 2020, In: Chronic Respiratory Disease. 17, 3 p., 1479973120914459.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Editorial › Other › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Diagnosis, prevalence, and clinical impact of sarcopenia in COPD: a systematic review and meta-analysisSepúlveda-Loyola, W., Osadnik, C., Phu, S., Morita, A. A., Duque, G. & Probst, V. S., 1 Oct 2020, In: Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. 11, 5, p. 1164-1176 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review Article › Research › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Educational topics and their rationale for inclusion within pulmonary rehabilitation – a systematic reviewSmith, R., Osadnik, C. R. & Lee, A. L., 1 Oct 2020, In: Patient Education and Counseling. 103, 10, p. 1997-2008 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Research › peer-review
Christian Osadnik (Member)7 Oct 2016
Activity: Industry, Government and Philanthropy Engagement and Partnerships › Membership of an advisory panel/policy group/ board
1 item of Media coverage
Press/Media: Expert Comment